So, here's something I would have NEVER thought I would post until last week: pictures of me in a swimsuit.
If you haven't heard of this pattern before, I don't know what rock you live under, but you need to go and check it now!
I was one of the lucky testers for this pattern, and like everybody else, I fell in love with it.
First of all, I apologize for not posting full-figure photos, but this is already a lot of exposure for my confidence. It's actually kind of sad, but it was a not-so-delicate comment from my boyfriend that made me rethink posting a picture where you could see my thighs (ie my cellulite) in all of their glory. Ugh. Men can do wonders for our self-confidence, can they?
But back to the swimsuit!
When Heather asked me if I wanted to be a tester, I was actually terrified, because I had never sewn something like this before. But as I started working on it, my fear became excitement, you know, the type you get when you try something new.
I desperately wanted a crimson red or a navy for my swimsuit, but as usual, I was disappointed by the resources available in in my area. In most fabric stores, I was looked at like I was crazy when I asked for lycra "to make a swimsuit", but finally I found a lady who had some. The only choice of color was black, nude and an awful Barbie pink, but in the end it wasn't so bad, a black swimsuit is a classic.
I also used nude lycra for the lining, since I couldn't find swimsuit/lingerie lining material anywhere, which means my seams are pretty thick.
The same goes for the elastic: nobody here seems to know that chlorine resistant elastic is something that actually exists, not a crazy request from a crazy customer. Sigh.
I will definitely buy the materials and notions online for next time. If anyone can refer me to European shops (besides Merckwaerdigh, mentioned by Novita) I'd be forever grateful.
Despite the hard time I had gathering the necessary, the construction went great! I cut a size 8 at the bust, grading up to a 12 at the hips, and the fit is perfect.
It took quite a long time to make, but that's because I was intimidated by the project, so I would read every step of the instructions at least three time before doing anything, and I would generally proceed veeery slowly.
The gathers and all the elastic to attach do take a while, but all in all, this was WAY easier than I thought it would be. Oh, and my serger broke down and died just before starting this project, so you can totally make it with just a regular machine.
Seriously, don't be scared by it just because it's swimwear: it can be tackled like any other project, I promise.
I tried to take a few details shots, but I failed.
Sorry, but I'm sure Heather will be posting every detail you want to see on her blog (she's having a sew-along!).
And speaking of the devil, she'll be here on the blog on Friday with a little interview, so don't miss out on that.